The University Union and The WELL, as facilities, are in high demand as places to hold events, meeting, dances, cultural events, etc. Due to this high demand, guidelines have been developed to provide consistency in the determination of users of the University Union and The WELL.
Guidelines and Procedures
Who Can Use the Union: Requirements
- The University Union is a not-for profit organization created to operate a tax-exempt facility only in support of the educational program of Sacramento State. Therefore, those eligible to sponsor or conduct an event in the Union are:
- Sacramento State Departments and Organizations
- Active, registered, student organizations
- Non University, legally defined, organizations – only when the organization AND event fall within the University educational and/or public service mission. (Commercial, For-Profit or Political events or organizations are not within the scope of use.)
- Individuals (as opposed to a group who is a legally defined organization) may not schedule events in Union/WELL facilities EXCEPT when the individual is a member of the faculty, staff, student or alumni community of Sacramento State AND the event is limited to a meal, reception or similar non-public event.
- Screening and approval of the event sponsor and scheduling of the event are handled only by the Union/WELL Event Services Office, and only directly with the event sponsor’s representative officer. A catering contractor may not act on behalf of event sponsor. Scheduling and approval of space will be accomplished within Campus and Union dates, schedule availability and with priorities as established for student and campus organizations and events.
- The UUOCI contracts with UEI Dining Services as the provider of catering services. Liability and responsibility for Dining Services in the Union/WELL is with UEI. UEI may contract with an alternate catering provider. If so, the Contractor must provide to the Union/WELL evidence of insurance and sanitation certificate and will be liable to Union/WELL, UEI, and Sacramento State for catering services, use of equipment, and caterer’s personnel actions. The Union/WELL will provide the same support and services as provided if UEI were operating the catering and the contract caterer will be expected to provide the same services as if provided by UEI.
- If a request is received to employ a caterer other than those under the UEI contract, the request will be forwarded to the UEI Dining Services department for evaluation on a case-by-case basis. In some instances arrangements may be made to bring in an outside caterer, but that determination will be made by the Union Director in consultation and agreement with Dining Services.
- Alcohol service and choices will depend on the license governing the space and as approved by Sacramento State Policy. Other Union operations operating with licenses are not to be affected.
- The Contractor catering order/contract form needs to contain the same information as presently utilized by the UEI Catering Form (see attachment). The contractor should provide available standardized menu choices in advance to the Event Services Office. Variations may be developed by the contractor and event sponsor in concert with the Event Services Office.
Union/WELL Reservation forms produced by the Event Services Office and working with the sponsor, will detail and approve all services, fees, charges, equipment, room setup, diagrams, times for room use and service, deadlines, and Union/WELL and event Sponsor obligations.
The Union/WELL will bill the event sponsor for all Union and/or WELL charges
Catering contractor will bill the event sponsor for all contractor provided food, beverage and service charges.
All audio-video, tables, chairs, staging and related equipment and services will be provided by Event Services as part of our service to the sponsor.
Specialized equipment, labor, overtime, and changes after set, damage, excessive cleanup and items not available from the Union will be billed as an added cost. These items will be detailed with the sponsor representative at the time of event approval. Late cancellation fees may apply if the event is not held.
As part of the food service, contractor will provide all linens, tableware, food and serving. UEI may, at their discretion, if so detailed, make available for contractor’s use, kitchen and serving equipment that is typically provided for UEI catering use. Any equipment and related facilities utilized by the contractor will be returned in same condition as prior to contractor use.
Event Services will handle and set up all Union/WELL provided equipment. Contractor or event sponsor will not move, set up or handle Union/WELL equipment.
Event Services, following agreement of sponsor’s representative, and after consultation with catering contractor, will provide a diagram showing all equipment and its placement within the room.
Event Services will advise event sponsor of times when room and support areas will be ready for contractor move-in, food service table top setup, sponsor setup and door opening and ending for the event.
Guarantee number—required from event sponsor 72 hours (three business days) before event.
Service or equipment needs occurring during the event, other than those related to food, beverage and wait service staff, must be referred to the Union/WELL Building Supervisor on duty or to the Union/WELL Information Desk. Contractor will identify to Union and Sponsor’s representatives the “point” person responsible for the Caterer.
Event attendee parking arrangements will be coordinated with University Transportation and Parking Services. Sponsor’s representative will be advised by the Event Services Office of the procedure for this need.
Loading dock space for contractor’s vehicles can be made available when pre-approved by Union/WELL Building Staff.
Food waste and trash generated by the contractor or event must be bagged and disposed of off site by the Catering Contractor unless otherwise negotiated with UEI for use of UEI disposal facilities.
Eight feet between ballroom and table storage room must be kept clear at all times as a fire exit lane.
Equipment must not be located in a manner that will keep doors from closing automatically in an emergency.
Dish-up Staging area, Ballroom:
Large events may use the Ballroom table storage room.
It is electrically equipped to handle four food warmers.
Large, wood Ballroom double doors can be used for setup only.
Table service during the event will be through small vestibule doors (marked for Fire Exit).
Events held on 2nd or 3rd floors:
Sublease staff must use the service elevator for all deliveries and setups.
Make prior arrangements with Union/WELL Building staff.
No servicing from the public hallway.
Servicing from service corridor/servery to room.
Catering responsibilities for non-Foundation catered events:
Contract with Union/WELL food service vendors to provide retail and catered food service in the Union.
Ensure all necessary licenses and insurance requirements are met by the provider.
Direct all sponsor and vendor communication regarding catering arrangements for Union/WELL events through the Event Services office.
Advise the vendor of requirements such as delivery of food fully-prepared off site, maintenance of exit aisles, clean up and removal of all trash and food waste, and food safety requirements.
Consult with the Union/WELL on requests for non-contracted caterers.
Contracted Food Service Vendors:
Direct all communication regarding the event food service arrangements through the Union/WELL Event Services Office.
Provide full-service catering for events, including delivery, set-up, maintenance during the event and clean up and removal of trash and food waste immediately after the event.
Maintain all applicable licensing, certification and insurance coverage.
Adopted: March 14, 2002
Updated: December 2, 2009